You are here

Professional card

A professional card is a license held by an individual who:

  • Does not have the Belgian nationality or the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Economic Area (European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) or who, for some reason, is not exempted from fulfilling this legal requirement.
  • Wishes to work in Belgium in a self-employed capacity, either for themselves or as the paid or unpaid representative of a company or association.

Professional cards can be valid for 5 years and are limited to a precise field of practise.

How to apply for a professional card?

Applicants living abroad should file their application with the Belgian diplomatic mission or consular post in their country of residence.

To apply for the professional card the applicant must provide the following documents:

  • A valid passport.
  • Three professional card application forms, duly completed, dated and signed.
  • A medical certificate.
  • A national record of any criminal history.
  • A resume/curriculum vitae.
  • Certified copies of university diplomas.
  • Proof of qualifications in their profession and professional references.
  • A letter describing in detail the activity in which they intend to engage, and why.

Applicants already residing in Belgium can apply for a professional card at the 'One stop desk for enterprises'.

For more information on professional cards:

Brussels Economy and Employment

Direction de la Politique de l'Emploi et de l'Economie plurielle
(Employment Policy and Social Economy Department)

Click here for the E-contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99
F +32 (0)2 204 15 28

or on site, upon appointment !